With the blissful properties of the Girl Scout Cookies strain as its genetic backbone, the Cookie Dough herb rides on the tides of its mother’s success. Being one of the most prominent cannabis varieties presently available, the GSC’s offspring often don’t need to work to earn popularity on the market. But even then, the Cookie Dough descendant puts in the effort to earn its keep.
Mixing together the sweet taste of pastry dough, pepper, citrus, and gasoline, the Cookie Dough strain is one of those cannabis varieties that tell you exactly what to expect simply from its name. Its whimsical flavor and sweet aroma both appeal to the senses, but its deep running effects grab a hold of the nerves and put the body in a lucid state of comfort and physical ease.
- Effects: Creative, Giggly, Happy, Hungry
- Taste: Candy, Citrus, Diesel, Lemon, Lime, Nutty
- Side Effects: Dizzy, Thirst and dry mouth, Low blood pressure
- Helps with: ADD/ADHD, Anxiety, Bipolar Disorder, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Insomnia, Loss of Appetite, PTSD, Stress
- Flavors: Mint, Orange, Skunky, Sweet
- Aromas: Mint, Sweet
- Breeder: Unknown
- Lineage: Unknown
All About Cookie Dough Strain
As might be expected from a strain called Cookie Dough, this strain is derived from the sweetest marijuana family there is: Girl Scout Cookies. This means that the predominant flavor profile of the strain is going to lean towards sweetness, though Cookie Dough offers a deeper layer of complexity, both in its effects and its flavor.
As a phenotype of Girl Scout Cookies, you might expect Cookie Dough to have a similar list of effects to the normally quite mild intensity of Girl Scout Cookies. However, Cookie Dough is well known for its sudden hit of intensely strong, overpowering effects, so much so that it is one of the strains that regular consumers always recommend inexperienced newbies to stay away from.
Cookie Dough is an excellent example of a perfect hybrid, as it has an equal blend of both sativa and indica in its genetics, allowing for an interesting medley of the two different types of effects.
A phenotype of the popular and much-loved Girl Scout Cookies (GSC), Cookie Dough is an Indica heavy cannabis hybrid strain that is used medically for its analgesic and anxiety-reducing properties. Cookie Dough’s THC falls between 13-25% while its CBD and CBN is between 0-10%.
The Cookie Dough strain of cannabis should be grown indoors. It takes between nine to ten weeks to flower and grows into a densely packed short plant that has spherical leaves. These leaves tend to be colored green and purple. The purple color present in Cookie Dough can be attributed to deliberate exposure to low temperatures during the later stages of the growth process. This purple color comes about when the low temperatures activate the anthocyanin pigment within the plant.
Cookie Dough has a sweet and minty fragrance and is very potent. Primarily used in pain relief and to aid with anxiety disorders, this cannabis strain has also found popularity as an appetite stimulant. This makes it a cure for eating disorders as well. Those who are looking to increase their weight can also use Cookie Dough to increase their appetite.
The cannabis strain has even found medical use as a neuroprotector. Some cancer patients also use Cookie Dough as a way to better their health and well being. When inhaled, Cookie Dough delivers a high that can make the user feel relaxed, provide pain relief and aid in sleeping disorders. Different cannabis strains are used for different medical purposes.
What are cannabis strains? They are either pure or hybrid varieties of the plant genus cannabis, which includes the species C. sativa, C. indica, and C. ruderalis.
Cookie Dough Origins
The Girl Scout Cookies variety – or simply GSC – has often been recognized as one of the most exquisitely engineered cannabis strains presently on the market. Its powerful effects and mouthwatering flavor come together to produce a profile that fits the needs and preferences of most users – regardless of their level of experience. So, it comes as no surprise that breeders were particularly interested in the GSC’s genetics, leading them to pick out its best phenotype for isolation.
Today, the GSC has tons of offspring circulating the market, but none have been quite as successful as the Cookie Dough strain. A select phenotype of the GSC mother, this strain magnifies the effects and flavor of its ancestor. For you, that means double the flavor and double the impact of the ever popular GSC variety.
Cookie Dough Strain Aroma and Appearance
While it isn’t entirely clear how the breeders came to isolate the Cookie Dough’s properties, they deserve a pat on the back for their perfectly encapsulation of the pastry aroma. Sweet and sticky, the strain’s smell can take you straight through a bakery’s doors, caressing your nose with the lip smacking flavor of dough. But as you sniff through the layers of aroma, hints of gasoline and pepper poke their heads and put your senses on a wild goose chase.
In an attempt to fully register the hidden scents exuded by the strain, some users – especially veterans – would probably continue to stuff their snout into the jar. While the undertones might jab at your nostrils, the elusive notes can be hard to fully capture. But nonetheless, the swirl of aromas can be particularly pleasant to the senses.
On the exterior, the Cookie Dough strain shines with the glorious glitter of sunshine yellow tendrils and orange-purple leaves. The deep forest overtones and golden-brown leaves cluster together in reckless abandon, and are drizzled with the shine of a thousand flickering crystallized trichomes.
Cookie Dough Flavor
Cookie Dough’s smoke is unexpectedly easy on the lungs and enjoyable. There’s no harsh burn or irritation no matter how hot the temperatures are.
There’s a dominant hint of berry that carries on to your tongue on the exhale. The whole flavor is sweet and intense, with citrusy notes being slightly detectable on the palate. The transition from sweet to sour flavors — and the other way round — makes for a great treat for all flavor chasers out there.
Cookie Dough Grow Info
- Flowering time: 53 – 63 Days
- Harvest time: 69 Days
- Yield indoor: 0 0.5 – 1 Oz/Ft² (~ 300 g/m²)
- Yield outdoor: 1 – 2 Oz/plant (~ 400 g/plant)
- Height indoor: 60-80
- Height outdoor: 90 >
- Grow difficulty: Easy
- Flowering type: Photoperiod
To be perfectly honest, Cookie Dough isn’t what you would call the easiest strain to grow. With specific cultivation needs, the herb thrives best in the gardens of farmers with previous cannabis growing experience. Nonetheless, the specific requirements for full genetic expression shed light on the kind of quality that Cookie Dough provides. Unlike varieties with non-specific needs, the Cookie Dough strain offers more powerful genetics that shine through for potent effects.
The strain reaches maturity in over 12 weeks, making it one of the more tedious varieties to grow. On top of that, harvests might not be quite as fat, producing a modest 4 ounces of bud for each foot of the plant’s height. But even then, recreational farmers in search of a premium quality herb can find sound purpose in the growth of the Cookie Dough cannabis strain.
For wholesale growers, Cookie Dough’s long growth period and modest returns might not make it the best choice. But if you were hoping to produce an extract that demonstrates the qualities of Cookie Dough, then taking your chances with the strain might satisfy your need.
THC Content – Highest Test
As a phenotype of Girl Scout Cookies, you can expect Cookie Dough to boast a similar THC content. However, the THC levels of Cookie Dough can reach up to 25%, with an average content clocking at around 22%.
This makes Cookie Dough a strong strain, capable to knock even experienced users off their shoes. Make sure that you approach this bud with particular caution if you’re new to cannabis so that you avoid potential side effects.
CBD Content – Highest Test
Some people report that their Cookie Dough has between 0 and 10% of CBD, which is a very broad range, but in practice, most varieties of this flower rarely exceed 1%.
This isn’t to say that Cookie Dough doesn’t have certain medical benefits. On the contrary, it may alleviate plenty of symptoms and conditions, but it’s just not the best pick if you’re sensitive to the psychoactive effects of THC.
Medical Benefits of the Cookie Dough Strain
- THC: 17.0 – 21.0%
- CBD: 0.08 – 0.64%
- CBC: 0.11 – 1.4%
- CBG: 0.27 – 1.3%
- CBN: 0.07 – 0.26%
- THCV: 0.44 – 1.06%
Lucid and controlled, there’s a lot to love about the Cookie Dough strain. Everything from the delicate flavors to its refined effects guarantee excellent outcomes for any user on any level of the experience ladder. But more than anyone, the Cookie Dough strain bests serves individuals who are going through bodily aches and discomfort, and those who want to relieve physical symptoms without impairing mentality and cognitive processes.
Reserved and collected, the Cookie Dough’s effects promise to keep you fully intact while soothing the various stresses that might be chewing away at your muscles and bones. For growers, Cookie Dough might be a better choice for recreational farmers who want to grow their own top quality bud from the comfort of home. Nonetheless, those who want to take the risk with the plants lengthy growth and mediocre harvest might find a hungry wholesale market for this premium cannabis strain. Just make sure you’ve got enough space in your garden to grow the strain in bulk so you can make up for the lost time.
Cookie Dough Experience and Effects
Well-balanced and controlled, the Cookie Dough strain is especially popular for its effects that don’t subdue the mind. The strain curtails the effects of the cannabinoids on the cognition, giving rise to a calm collectedness and sharp clarity that can reduce the clutter that might get in the way of your thoughts and activities. The strain relieves mental tension and stress, letting you enjoy freedom from agitation and distress.
As the thick, pastry-flavored smoke trails through your mouth, throat, and lungs with its gasoline-laced tail, the effects of Cookie Dough proceed to progress. If you’re not in any particular state of discomfort, then the second phase of the strain’s impact might not be deeply felt. But those struggling with severe physical tension, Cookie Dough promises supreme relief.
While it doesn’t lift the body or make your limbs feel any different, Cookie Dough takes away the various discomforts that might make you feel heavy, sluggish, and unwell. In effect, it helps you cope with the many different issues that might be plaguing your body and hindering you from feeling your 100% best self.
Side Effects of the Cookie Dough Strain
Cookie Dough can pack a punch, so you should definitely try to avoid this bud if you’re prone to the psychoactive effects of THC. In more sensitive users, the strain may lead to feelings of anxiety and paranoid thoughts.
As we said, these side effects can be easily avoided by taking lower doses of the Cookie Dough Strain. If, however, you go overboard with this flower, remember to take regular deep breath, drink lots of water, and ask a more experienced friend to explain the potential reason behind the THC-induced anxiety.
Finally, you may also expect a range of regular symptoms of high-potency cannabis, such as dry mouth and dry eyes, but these effects are common for all marijuana strains. It’s nothing strange to have to deal with them. Again, regular hydration should mitigate the cottonmouth; as for the dry eyes, just use regular eye drops — they will hydrate your eyes and remove the bloodshot effect.
Cookie Dough Similar Strains
- Cookie Monster: Cookie Monster cannabis is claimed to be one of the best Indica-dominant hybrids. In 2014 it won the first prize in Seattle’s High Times Cannabis Cup as the best Indica of the US. Cookie Monster Strain is a child of a famous Girl Scout Cookies and OG Kush. The crossing between these two legendary strains builds an interesting combination of scents. Cookie Monster’s buds smell like mint and pine having on the background the tastes of lime, herbs, lemon and vanilla.
- Monster Cookies: Monster Cookies is an indica-dominant hybrid that builds on some strong and flavorful genetics. This strain is a cross between the omnipresent Girl Scout Cookies and the flavorful and eye-catching Granddaddy Purple. This background gives the flowers a relaxing high and a complex, fruity taste. Although it’s known to be a potent variety, cannabis testing lab Analytical 360 has found Monster Cookies to have a modest range of 10% to 15% THC composition.
- Sour Kush: Sour Kush is a cross between OG Kush and Sour Diesel. It is a hybrid cannabis strain, featuring both Indica and Sativa effects, although it is Indica dominant. This relaxing blend will leave users feeling relaxed and euphoric, with an enjoyable boost in overall happiness. THC content of Sour Kush is around 20% to 22%. While this can be a great strain to wake and bake with, it’s advisable to be wary of dosing to high and becoming lazy and couch locked in the process. You may also find yourself frequenting the kitchen as well, rummaging through the fridge in search of snacks.
- OG Kush: OG Kush is a legendary strain with a name that has recognition even outside of the cannabis world. Despite its fame, though, its exact origins remain a mystery. Some claim that it’s a cross between staple Chemdawg and a hardy Hindu Kush landrace. It’s also possible that OG Kush emerged from undocumented bag seed as a distinct phenotype of some other existing strain. The meaning of its name is also disputed — the “OG” has been alternately said to stand for: “original gangster,” connoting its status as an old-school building block strain; “ocean grown,” in reference to its origin along the California coast; and even “OverGrown.com,” a now-defunct website that served as a resource for countless cannabis growers. One thing that’s not up for debate is OG Kush’s potency — its THC composition has been consistently measured at between 20% and 25%.
- Grape Ape: Grape Ape is a tasty, memorable strain with strong indica roots. Its distinctive look and complex fruity flavor makes it an easy favorite — to say nothing of its incredibly potent body high. Grape Ape is the product of strains as different as Mendocino Purps, an award-winning Northern California crossbreed, the influential staple strain Skunk, and a legendary Afghani landrace. The combination of these nuances has yielded a bold and visually striking variety.